Thursday, February 28, 2013

Interview: "Burp" with Park Geun-tae

In recent times we have featured special interviews here on the KOFFIA blog with up and coming filmmakers from Korea. In case you missed them, we will list them here for you, so that you can learn more about the people behind the films, but also to inspire all of those buddying filmmakers out there.

From KOFFIA we have "Remember O Goddess", an interview with Lee Yoon-Jung, "An Education", an interview with Cho Yong-Won, "See You Tomorrow", an interview with Lee Woo-jung, "Ghost", an interview with Dahci Ma, "Fly By Night", an interview with Son Tae-gyum, "Examination", an interview with Judy Suh and finally, "A Brand New Journey", an interview with Kim Hee-jin

From Cinema on the Park we had "A Glaring Night", an interview with Lee Mi-ji, "Making Noise in Silence", an interview with Mina Son and "Kowi", an interview with Mary-Jo Tohill. Today we begin a new program of interviews with short film directors whose shorts are featured in this years Cinema on the Park lineup. 

We will be providing them in Korean and English and hope you feel a greater connection to the films. Special thanks to all the distributors that assisted with the interviews. Today's interview is with the director of BURP, Park Geun-tae. It's a fun, lively and vidid short animation about a battle with alien invaders through biological warfare. A must see!


There're a truck driver on a foggy hillside road and a big pig. 
Suddenly some UFO's that turned up from somewhere attacked them. 
What would be their fate?


  1. How did you get into the film industry / Why did you get in to filmmaking?
어릴 때부터 만화가가 꿈이었다. 대학에 진학하게 되어 애니메이션을 배우면서 그 세계에 매료되었다. 그림이 살아 움직이고 귀로 그 느낌을 전달하는 애니메이션이 너무 멋져 보였다. 

I have always wanted to be a cartoonist since childhood. I was fascinated by animation when I learnt how to produce an animated film at university. I thought animation which shows living pictures and conveys feelings to people was a wonderful experience.



  1. What/Who inspires you as an artist?
주로 작품을 들어갈때 많은 이미지들을 찾아본다. 전혀 연관성이 없는 이미지들을 두루두루 찾아보고, 각각의 이미지들을 조합해본다. 상당히 이질적인 이미지들이 모여서 섞였을 때 독특한 그림이 그려지곤 한다. 그 그림에 살을 붙이고 다듬다 보면 아! 하고 떠오르는 이야기가 있다. 그 때 본격적인 작품을 시작하게 된다. 


I usually look for many reference images before I start making a film. I find many images which seem like they have nothing in common with each other and I match them together. After that, I can make very unique pictures with different images. Something usually occurs in my mind by polishing the pictures. After this process, my full-scale movie begins.

  1. Can you tell us more about your film? What made you want to tell such a story?
처음 시작은 한국에 있는 중앙대 첨단영상대학원 애니메이션 전공으로 입학하면서 처음 기획한 작품이었다. 시작초기에는 혼자 간단하게 1분 내외 작품으로 만들어보자 했으나 단편지원사업에 선정되면서 본격적으로 이야기를 다듬어 제작하게 되었다. 그렇게 해서 현재 6분 20초가량의 burp가 만들어지게 되었다.

이작품은 한국의 시골 이미지를 배경으로 만들었고 농부와 돼지, 산의 모습, 트럭에 있는 소품들과 도로에서 보이는 표지판 하나하나 한국의 이미지를 바탕으로 변형시키고 디자인했다. 트럭 라디오에서 나오는 음악도 한국의 대중가요 중 하나인 트로트를 사용하여 그 느낌을 더했다. 전반적인 이야기의 전개는 후반부에 결론을 보여주기 전까지 왜 ufo가 트럭기사와 돼지를 쫓는지에 대해 보여주지않는다. 예상치 못한 상황전개와 슬랩스틱으로 관객에세 재미를 주고자 했다.


I made my first film when I entered an animated film graduate school of Chungang University. I was just about to make a 1 minute film on my own at the beginning but this film was chosen in a Short Film Support Project. Therefore, I made a 6 minutes 20 second version of 'Burp'. This film consists of Korean country  side images such as a famer, pig, mountain, and truck. I also used 'Teuroteu', one of Korean pop songs, to show Korean feelings. The reason why the UFO chases a truck driver and pig is shown at the conclusion of the film. I tried to give the audience much more fun with unexpected development and slapstick.

  1. Are you excited to have an Australian screening at Cinema on the Park Korean Film Night in Sydney? How do you think the Australian audience will respond to the film?
일단 해외에 한국 작품을 선보일 수 있게 되어 대단히 영광이다. 기회가 된다면 직접 참석해서 그 분위기와 풍경을 느껴보고 싶다. BURP라는 작품은 재미에 중점을 두고 만들었다. 이야기를 찾다보니 농부와 돼지 그리고 외계인이 등장하게 되었고, 마지막에 똥이라는 소재를 쓰게 되었다. 그로인해 BURP를 본 사람들이 주로 감상평을 얘기하길 "재밌지만 더럽다."였다. 이번 영화제에서도 똑같은 반응이 나오지 않을까 싶다. 


It is really glorious for my film to be screened in Australia. If I have a chance, I want to participate in the festival and feel the atmosphere in person. Burp focused on fun primarily. I accidentally used a famer, pig, alien and even poo as characters. That is why the most main review of my film is "funny but dirty". I am sure people in the festival will feel the same way.

  1. What’s next for you? Do you have a project/study/work planned?
현재는 한국에 있는 TV 시리즈를 제작하고 있는 로이비쥬얼이란 회사에서 일하고 있다. 테크니컬 디렉터의 역할을 하면서 여러가지 경험과 함께 재밌게 일하고 있다. 기회가 된다면 외국으로 나가 다양한 사람들과 프로젝트를 경험해보고 싶다. 


I worked at RoiVisual, Korean company of making TV series. I am a technical director and I experience many things. If it is possible, I would like to go abroad and work with a variety of people.

  1. How can people in Australia follow you? Eg. Twitter/Blog/Website/Vimeo?
틈틈히 드로잉 작품과 그동안 제작한 단편들을 올리는 블로그가 있다
I have a blog where I usually upload my drawings and short films. My blog is gtpark.blogspot.com and my twitter is http://koreantweeters.com/pgt1215

No comments:

Post a Comment