Monday, August 6, 2012

Interview: "An Education" with Cho Yong-Won


This week we put the spotlight on Cho Yong-Won, director of short film An Education, which is a part of our SCHOOL DAYS section in our International Short Film Showcase program this year.

Young-jae, a high-school senior, really wants to go to college. But with the competition fierce, he needs to find a way to differentiate himself from the pack - assuming he can even successfully gain admission. His best chance is to get a recommendation letter of good deed, so he sets out to search for the drunk man he saved from being hit by a train a few days earlier. Along the way Young-jae is taught far more about life than he had expected.

An Education is a film which stirs the humanity in us all and prompts us to think about what we choose to learn and what we keep ignorant in our lives. 


Read on for a short interview with director Cho Yong-Won and her film An Education.


How did you get into the film industry?
An interest in movies and broadcasting, led me to study film at University. I started work in this industry because I wanted to do work with things that would hold my interest and I would delight in.

What or who inspires you as an artist?
There was no one person who influenced my art. The only thought that constantly crossed my mind was that I wished to make a film like Life is Beautiful.

Can you tell us more about An Education?
I had been writing this scenario for a long time, and as we came across a lot of difficulties shooting the movie, just the very completion of it was a joy. I had a desire to comment on social problems through Yeong-jae's behaviour - the lead in the film. Though this film lacks in many elements, I hope it still conveys these feelings to the audience, and I hope they will continue to think about it after the movie has finished.

Are you excited to have an Australian Premiere at KOFFIA?
I am so grateful since this is the first screening which is not in a school. It is a pleasure and I'm grateful that An Education has found an opportunity to be introduced to an Australian audience. 

What's next for you?
I am currently doing my internship in the Korean Film Commission and I would like to continue to work in film in the future.

Visit the Official Website for An Education here.

Follow us:
Twitter @KOFFIA2012

No comments:

Post a Comment